Mar 3, 2010

Hiking with Teens – Yeah Right!

Second weekend with Maya and Gal, my kids. Those ‘City’ kids tried to join me for a short hike in the desert, but the attempt did not reach too far. Literally.

Gal and Maya in Live Concert

Thursday, February 25, 2010 – It is not too often that I get the opportunity to attend school activities of my kids. Up until recently Patti and I lived in MN and PA, and in the last 6 months or so, we are Fulltiming around. We arrived to CA just to be with the kids for some time, before we continue our journey.
It was a great opportunity for me to be invited for a concert, where both Gal (12) and Maya (14) are participating. They were so excited that daddy is going to see them playing.
It is about two hours drive from Aguanga to Mission Viejo, and with traffic and all I arrived just in time to enjoy and be proud.
KidsConcert 083
Gal and Maya
KidsConcert 030
 Gal on the Sax
KidsConcert 072Maya on the Flute

Visiting Anza Borrego Desert

Sunday, February 28, 2010 – Drove yesterday again to Mission Viejo to pick up the kids for the W/E. They did not even finish their homework. I don’t understand those schools that pile the kids with so much homework that they do not have time to spend with kids and family. I think it is not less important than the studies themselves. When they grow up and will be asked what did you do when you were a kid? what are they suppose to answer? Homework?
Anyways – the kids did their homework with me last night, and enjoyed some Internet games. Today – we planned to Anza Borrego Desert State Park, and explore a little, enjoy the great weather.
So we get up in the morning, and I am being reminded to take my camera, my wallet, my phone and everything else (remember last week?) and we all jump in the car and drive south to the park.
AnzaBorregoSP PanoramicViewPanoramic view to the desert valley (4 Photos Stitched)
We parked by the visitor center, and I stepped in the find some information about the trails and activities in the park. We chose a short trail (3 miles) to the Palm Canyon through a stream and nice views. But there is a little problem – the parking lot by the trail head charges $8 for parking. I do not have cash, so… we walk! It is about a mile from the visitor center to the trail head.
When we finally got to the trail head, Gal and Maya started to show some signs of “Do you really wanna go there?” and “Isn’t it the same?” and “Are you really having fun?”
First we had a lunch break, then a break to walk in the water, and then climbing some rocks, and by then I got “I would really like to go there, but I am too tired”. You know… this is the time to turn around and go back to the car. So we never made it to the Canyon. I will have to be back with Patti.
AnzaBorregoSP 003 AnzaBorregoSP 006
AnzaBorregoSP 005 AnzaBorregoSP 008
AnzaBorregoSP 013 AnzaBorregoSP 002
AnzaBorregoSP 045 AnzaBorregoSP 052
As soon as as drove out the park 0 the energy came back. We stopped by in a small store in Borrego Springs – Ice Cream Parlor and Fudge, and we got some ice cream cones. Their fudge is amazing – I tasted jalapeno fudge – and it was real good!
Next week – I will take the kids to a video arcade – I am sure they would love it (and me) better.
And oh – just before you go – I hope you liked the last recipe. I am working on getting Patti to male my next challenge. Won’t tell you what it is, just that it is not so easy to make, but it worth the effort!
Thanks for stopping by :)

No comments:

Post a Comment